Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"Happy Birthday to you.."

Its my sister, Savanah's birthday today.

And I am so excited. I love birthdays. They give us a chance to really celebrate the people we love. 14 years ago at 7:34am, I didn't even know Savanah. I was easter egg hunting (it was Easter Sunday). We then went for lunch and my grandparents and then we went home. A little bit later, my mom called me - Savanah was on her way. We went to my uncles that evening and then at around 11:45pm, I got a phone call. It was my dad to tell me that my sister had be born. He said she was so beautiful and had lots of black hair that stuck out like she was "Tommy Lee- the rocker". He also said she was wide awake and just staring at everything (I can tell you, after that she didn't really open her eyes again for days).



When I saw her through the glass window the next day, all I could think of was Snow White: "Skin as white as snow, lips as red as blood and hair as black as ebony". She was so beautiful.


That much has never changed. She was my little doll. I was allowed to bath her and dress her up in the most adorable little outfits. When she learnt to walk she tottered around the place and very quickly learnt to climb onto the coffee table to dance to the Spice Girls. Her hair grew longer and instead of spikey hair, she had ringlets. Ringlets! A the rosiest cheeks. She also had an attitude to go with it. I've watched family videos, where she is playing in the mud as Tsitsikamma and Rus, my brother, wants a hug. She is completely not interested and told him to "go way". A little while later, she was trying to get into the tent and she asked Rus for help. He told her (just to bug her) that seeing that she didn't love him and give him hugs, he wouldn't help her. She sat there for about 10 seconds. Then turned to him with the most beautiful look on her face and said "Russel, I love you...come give me a hug". The girl has ATTITUDE! :)

The cheekiness didn't end there. She has the nickname "poison" - She even keeps the Alice Cooper song on her phone. But she is not unfair and she is never cruel. She just stands up for herself. And that is something I am very proud of. I have had this unique opportunity to be a mother-sister and watch her grow and mature. And at every age, she is just more wonderful. She now laughs at my taste in music and we discuss favourite shows. I am proud to say that when she has a problem, she phones me.



I am proud of the relationship we have. The gossip sessions about her friends and opinions.  And although I wish her the best in the world and all the happiness to go with it, I also know that she has the character and strength to deal with the not so nice stuff (girl power!). 

Although, its Savanah's birthday, I feel like I should be celebrating and dancing around. Because of the gift I received 14 years ago. The gift of an baby, a doll, a princess, a rockstar, a little lady, a cheeky teenager and most of all, a sister. Years ago, like most toddlers, Savanah loved (and I mean LOVED) Barney the dinosaur. I'd often sing "I love you..." while she fell asleep. Her favourite, though, was the "Sisters song". Of course, she couldn't say 'sister'- she said 'stister' instead (as a tradition, we still have 'stisters day').


Happy Birthday, my sister. I love you! I promise. I will always be there.

"The Sisters Song"

Sometimes we are real close friends
we stay up late and talk at night
othertimes we dont get along
there are even times we fight
But I know shes always there
and I know she will always care
She's my sister
I love my sister

I've given her a great big hug
when she was feeling bad
then again I have said some things
that have really made her mad
But I know shes always there
and I know she will always care
She's my sister
I love my sister

But I know shes always there
and I know she will always care
She's my sister
I love my sister
She's my sister
I love my sister



No comments: