Monday, May 30, 2011

Do you remember Pollyana?

When I was little I remember watching the movie, "Pollyanna" which starred Hayley Mills (my mom always hired quite old movies to watch which is probably why my first crush - after Prince Eric- was Gene Kelly). I really loved her 'Glad game'. I am not always very positive but I do try and whenever I have been down, I try and think of something to be glad about.




So after my very mopey post on Saturday (apologies), here are some things I am glad about:

1.) Lists - I love lists (I really am such a nerd)
2.) It is the last monday of the month which means my boy has a long weekend. Which means when I get home today he will be there :)
3.) Friends - I saw two of my good friends on Sat and it was good just to have some girly time
4.) My electric blanket
5.) Watching 3 Supernatural episodes in a row. I love Dean!
6.) Robert Jordan books (They are my boy's books but it is so good to be reading again.)
7.) I have a pair of hiking socks on so my feet are not as cold as usual.
8.) There is a heater in my office
9.) My boy remembers the 1st song we danced to and it played on VH1 this weekend. I love how it is important to him too.
10.) I feel better! This is actually quite a big statement for me but its true: I made it! I went to visit a friend of mine on Friday - she is hospital because of depression and when I was walking back to the car it hit me. I had this whole "Rocky" moment and I wanted to dance. Thing is I had a breakdown in 2009 and although I could still function, I really didn't know if I would ever feel better, if I would ever be able to drive without drinking a litre of water (anxiety) or read a book again. I didn't know if the 'Pollyana' me would ever emerge again. I felt so guilty for inflicting myself on my boy (who has been there for me the whole time). I didn't know if I would stop having 'epiglottal spasms' - where I couldn't swallow and it felt that I couldn't breathe. More than anything, I didn't know if I would ever feel happy again. And I did it. I finished the MSc. (I know I mention that a lot but it is a HUGE personal achievement for me), I am reading again, I can swallow, I can be positive. And I am glad!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Point number 10 deserves a celebration. Well done on getting better. I'm sure it's a wonderful feeling to be "happy" again!